Friday, October 31, 2008

The Original "I Don't Get It"

I realized most of you will not get the full effect of the phrase "I Don't Get It" so I will try to explain.

A couple of years back I went to the dollar movie with a few people and we watched "Stranger Than Fiction". I hadn't heard much about the movie, but it was a dollar so I went along. As the movie progressed I became more and more excited as it turned out to be, in my estimation, a really good story with great acting. I was impressed to see Will Ferrell performing so well in a semi-serious role. I'm not a big fan of frat boy comedy, so I was very pleasantly surprised. After the movie ended, I turned to my friends and expressed my approval of the movie. We all agreed that it was really cool.

Feeling exhilarated, I made my way out of the theater and into the concessions area. Just as our conversation lulled to a moment of silence, we all heard as clear as day, "I don't get it!" The typed word will never do that phrase justice. I turned to see two beautiful 20-ish year old girls walking behind us, looking thoroughly perplexed. They had come to get some big Will Ferrell laughs, and were obviously disappointed. In reality, "I don't get it" actually sounded like, "Ah don' ged eh'". I still can't do it justice. The contrast between our reaction and theirs struck us so funny that David Jay Wayt and I started coughing as we struggled to stifle the impending explosion of hysteria. Suffice it to we both ran for the exit, threw open the doors, and bursted into uncontrollable laughter which continued on as we drove blindly through Provo with tears running down our faces. This continued on for about ten to fifteen minutes. It is probably the hardest I have ever laughed. I guess you just had to be there.

No comments: