Monday, October 27, 2008

Ostrich People




I must apologize to my brother. He told me they exist. I mocked him. Now I know the truth.

A substantial number of the members of the Vadoma tribe of western Zimbabwe have a rare deformity called ectrodactyly. Their three middle toes are missing and the two toes on either side are larger and point inward, giving them the appearance of ostrich feet. It is an autosomal dominant condition resulting from a single mutation on chromosome number seven. The tribe is so isolated that this mutation occurs at a much higher rate than other populations due to their limited access to outside gene pools. I guess those possessing this abnormality are better at climbing trees. I wish I had ostrich feet.

1 comment:

Caleb said...

I wonder if they function just fine. They look like they wouldn't work very good.